Moving Content Between Sites with a Package

I had a question for anyone with some experience or more knowledgeable about both Umbraco and the Package feature.

What I’m trying to accomplish is to move pages and images from a working source to a target Umbraco site (exactly the same version on both installs) - preserving anything already built on that target site. The goal is to perform work on site content on a sandbox site , and then bulk-move the content over in a controlled way such that images and page links are maintained and not disturb anything else on the target site (aside from loading the new content of course).

I put together a demo using docker images and matching Umbraco installs - each containing different starting sets of data to test the behavior.

This seems reasonably sound to me, but I was wondering if someone could help me verify my use of the feature here - I believe I’m using it appropriately, but the docs don’t seem to mention this type of use of the feature to do what I briefly described above (and in the linked gh pages guide below).

Thanks in advance for any help or advice here!

--Ray

You really want to use usync (free) or usync complete (paid). That last one can take snapshots and also publish easily between environments. The export function in Umbraco is extremely limited.

Thanks for the reply!

I’ll look into those!

Is there any reason why the solution I outlined wouldn’t/couldn’t work as intended?

Yeah it won’t quite work.

The package import / export system is only additive, so it doesn’t add or update content or media that is already there. so your first import might work, but if you then make a change and export/import that to the other side, the changes won’t come across (new stuff would - existing stuff would not).

tools like uSync are syncing the whole thing, so changing existing items if they have changed, keeping them all in sync. it will do what you are looking to do here - you can export/import zip files in the free version, if that’s how you want to move the content, the paid bits will dynamically push/pull selected content and media between the two servers for you - so you don’t even have to do that.

(disclaimer - i wrote uSync)

Hi @rayvoelker

100% use uSync - you can export settings and content from one environment and import into another.

Justin