Hi,
I have experience load balancing Umbraco 13 sites (frontends) on Azure App Services but moving to Umbraco 17 I can and need to have the backoffice running on multiple replicas for availability compliance reasons among other things.
From my understanding the official recommendations on configuring load balancing don’t matter for servers that don’t share a file system. They apply to slots on app services but not for container app revisions and their replicas (by default). I’m talking about synced temp dirs, discriminators and lucene dirs etc. I am aware that load balancing the backoffice needs some additional configuration.
Can someone confirm below assumptions? I’ve asked
about this but I’m not trusting it 100%.
- Don’t mount a shared file system for any of the replicas
- Configure all instances as ScheduledPublisher
- Configure LoadBalanceIsolatedCaches on all instances
- Use a shared storage path for the TemporaryFileUploadLocation setting
- Use IDistributedBackgroundJob for custom jobs
- Use FileSystemMainDomLock
- Use LocalTempStorageLocation=Default
- Use LuceneDirectoryFactory=Default
- MachineIdentifier will automatically be unique per-replica
- ApplicationId will automatically be unique per-revision
- Don’t specify a MainDomKeyDiscriminator
- Session affinity settings not relevant
We need a guide for “load balancing” the backoffice on services other than Azure App Service ![]()