Existing Published Content Showing “Pending Changes” After Upgrading from Umbraco 13 to 17.6.2

Hi everyone,

I’m facing an issue after upgrading an Umbraco project from Umbraco 13 to Umbraco 17.6.2, and I’d appreciate any guidance on the correct way to handle it.

After the upgrade, a large number of existing content pages that were already published before the upgrade are now showing “Pending Changes” in the Umbraco backoffice.

The main issue is that these pages are not being returned correctly to the frontend until I manually open the page and perform Save and Publish again.

For example:

  • The page was already published before the upgrade.
  • After upgrading to Umbraco 17.6.2, it shows Pending Changes.
  • The content does not appear correctly on the frontend.
  • If I manually click Save and Publish, the page starts working correctly on the frontend again.

The problem is that we have a large amount of existing content, so manually opening and publishing every page is not a practical solution.

before (v13)

After( 17.6.2)

What I’m looking for

I’d like to understand:

  1. Why would existing published content end up in a Pending Changes state after upgrading from Umbraco 13 to 17.6.2?
  2. Is there a recommended migration/rebuild/re-index step that should be performed after this type of upgrade?
  3. Is there a safe way to bulk republish or re-save/re-publish the affected content programmatically?
  4. If a bulk operation is required, what would be the recommended Umbraco 17 approach/API/service to use?

I’ve also found these related discussions and I’m currently testing some of the suggested approaches:

However, I’m not sure which of these scenarios is actually relevant to the Umbraco 13 → 17.6.2 upgrade.

Any advice on the root cause or the safest way to resolve this for a large existing content tree would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

any reason why you aren’t updating to 17.7.0?

Might be a fixed issue?
Changes after v17.6.2, up to (and including) v17.7.0

If the issue reported re json formatting blocklist/grid being an issue.. there seems to be several fixes that mention blocks..
incl: Blocks: Upgrade migration corrupts nested Single Block values inside Block List editors

Going from 13 to 17, if you do have singleBlock then I think that went from a setting on the blocklist datatype.. to now a specific single block datatype.